Introduction: Week one

Hi, everyone! My name is Amanda, and this is my final semester here at UMass Dartmouth. I decided to go back to school a few years ago to help advance my career in healthcare, as I had only done a few years of college, previously, in a semi-related major. I will be graduating this spring with a degree in Liberal Arts, with concentrations in Philosophy and Women and Gender studies. So this class is a great fit for both of these concentrations. I plan to continue my education here at UMass next year by starting my Masters in Healthcare Administration.

The blog I chose to model mine after is Hello Giggles. I’ve read their articles in the past, and have always liked their style. My goal is always to help women be the best versions of themselves, support each other, and maintain a strong sense of integrity. I always strive to do better, and to be a better person, and one of the first articles I saw on this website resonated with me: “How to Sop Being a People Pleaser in 2023”. This is something I have struggled with most of my life, eventually realizing that setting boundaries and being truthful doesn’t make you a bad person. It’s small changes like this I like to encourage in other women, because we can’t empower other women until we empower ourselves!

One thing that I think this site lacks and how it might not be a good model for my blog is that it doesn’t seem to have a job/career area of focus. I have done a lot of work in the past few years to advance my career and would like to see career growth covered more in feminist news. It is my hope that I will be able to incorporate all of this into my blog this semester.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you, and best of luck this semester!

6 Replies to “Introduction: Week one”

1. Hi Amanda – CONGRATULATIONS on your final semester; what an accomplishment! I appreciate your ideals about being the best version of ourselves. It’s important that we lead by example and inspire and encourage others to do the same.

In perusing Hello Giggles, it seems that there could be an opportunity to expand and add a section about women leading by example. I envision a section that shares stories of women making changes in their own community, however small or large their movement may be. It would be informative and also act as inspiration.

Your idea to share and discuss women in the healthcare field sounds great too! If you’re knowledgeable and passionate about this, maybe it’s YOU who leads the charge?! As someone on the administrative side of healthcare, I would certainly read it. It would be inspiring to hear success stories and continue to learn of the many different facets of the industry.

Looking forward to reading your thoughts this semester!

1. Thanks, Christine! This looks like an interesting article – I will definitely give it a read!

Thanks so much for your kind words…I’ve often thought about how I could work with other women in the future to help them excel in their careers. Hopefully this could become a reality at some point!

2. Hey Amanda congratulations on your final semester and working towards continuing your education. I really resonated with what you said about being “people pleaser” as I too have struggled with this for pretty much all of my thirty years. And fortunately that is something I have recently began deconstructing. I also love how you spoke about your goals to continue to strive to empower women. I definitely believe that empowered women empower women and given our political and societal climate, I believe that women need this now more than ever as efforts to strip our power is worked towards everyday.